my story

**mood: ready to leave work!
**noise:the hallway

Noel wanted us to post 'our stories' today for what Tim Challies is calling Testimony Tuesday. So here I go..sorry, but it's as concise as I can get right now...

I grew up in a 'christian home'. What I mean by this, is we that we went to church, period. Other than knowing what the meaning of Christmas and Easter was, because I learned it in Sunday school, I didn't understand religion, faith or God. I was forced to go to church all through high school
and during the services all I did was doodle and talk to friends. I did go to a youth group, but unfortunately it didn't involve Christ. It involved games and eating and movies…really, just a way for us church kids to get together I guess. In my youth I was a 'good kid'. Although I wasn't a great student, I was involved, played sports and didn't get in too much trouble. I was the typical girl though...seeking out male attention to feel worth. Not so much in a sexual way, but I always had to be in a relationship. I felt secure at home, but not in a Godly way. I was brought up in an extremely strict household and unfortunately because of it, when I moved out of the house for college I went crazy, dabbling into way too many things.

I seemed to also be the brunt of too many 'christians' who wanted to tell me that I was going to hell for this or that. I was the hippie chick who saw too many shows and wsa just going down the wrong path I guess. I was the heathen. My drug dabbelings and christian frustrations progressed through College and then to Washington as I moved out west to 'find myself'. I tried other religions. Native culture and their faith interested me, so did wicca. I tried other churches too but I never found peace in it. After 3 years I felt the pull of family so I moved back to Michigan and without going into too much detail here, I was hurt very badly by a man. Financially and emotionally I was crushed. The emptiness hit like a brick. I had fallen to the rocks and hit a bitter bottom. It was here where I realized that I had nothing to grasp.

So I grasp for alcohol and relationships that I knew were wrong. I was living in a horrible town, working for a horrible organization and my heart was broken. So I did anything I could do to numb myself.

After 6 months of drowning my sorrows, I got a new job in Lansing. And there I met Steve. He was extremely sly in our dealings and it didn't hurt that I had a major crush on him…but he showed me bits and pieces of this other life. A life turned towards God. My interest was peaked. I was a bit freaked out at times and kept a bit of a distance with the Christian stuff, but then I heard Noel speaking to me through the speakers of my car about some church where I could drink coffee…well, that sounded pretty nice to me, so I thought I'd check it out.

It was a combination of an extremely patient and caring man and the warmth and sincere feeling of being welcome I felt from Riverview that brought me to the first steps of my faith.

I know now that in 2003, God had to crush everything around me, so that I may open my eyes to Him. To truly see Him. I never knew Him. I never cared. I believed there was a higher power, but that's where it ended. I didn't care to give it much more thought. But in 2003, I saw Him and these past 4 years, have been amazing.

So here I am. Still struggling in life every day but not to find peace. I've found Him. I never thought I'd be calling Christians close friends because they always seem so condemning. And now here I am, a Christian. But hopefully, I can give other non-believers the same patience, love and unconditional acceptance as Steve, Riverview and many others gave me. it a beautiful thing, love. It allows you to see past the gunk and to the heart. It's only then that you can truly help someone find peace.

Comments

Yi said…
Thank you for sharing, it is nice to have a little insight into your life. I am encouraged by your story :)
Noel Heikkinen said…
Thanks for posting your story!

Popular Posts