movie

**mood: elated
**noise: crunching on carrots

go see blood diamond. what an amazing movie. finally the horrors of this atrocity have been put up for all to see. when steve and i started to
talk to folks about the conflict free diamonds he gave me, so many of them had no idea what we were talking about. maybe now they'll understand.

one of the lines in the movie was something like 'If people thought the diamond on their finger may have cost a child their arm, maybe they wouldn't want it'.

unfortunately, this act doesn't just happen in the diamond realm..it happens throughout the consumer world. as hard as it is and as much as we all want to remain ignorant of the perils of consumerism, i urge you to become informed of the products you buy. Are your clothes, furnishings and household stuff coming from sweatshops? Is your coffee laden with chemicals that burn the children's bodies who have to pick the beans? that's a lot out there to learn...but i urge you to learn.

all of this and constant down slide of the environment makes me wonder if Steve and I are just being selfish to want to bring a child into the world. what will this world be when they are our age. it scares me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can not find anywhere in scripture that says when a child enters the world, it is a bad thing. I know that's not what you said in your post but somehow that seems to be the logical conclusion I get when I follow your logic out to its end. God 'COMMANDED' His creation to 'be fruitful and multiply'. To me, having children is just as selfish an act as giving all of your money to the poor. Just because an act makes a person feel good doesn't mean it's a selfish act. I don't mean to put words into your mouth and I think I know where you are coming from but that can be some dangerous logic if not kept in check and I start to hear alarms going off when I hear people say stuff like that. Raising kids God's way is THE MOST selfless thing you can do aside from doing what Jesus did for us.
Phoenix Rising said…
well now, this was taken a ways out of context...number 1...i'm not understanding the logic that having children and supporting organizations you feel led to support are the same. I also don't believe feeling led to support an organization is selfish, seeing that if i was honestly being selfish i would be buying frivolous items like a new couch rather than sending my money to other people.

number 2. i was merely asking myself if it's a selfish act to bring a child into a world that is so wrought with judgement and cruelty. a nation that, in my opinion fights non-productive wars for selfish money hungry reasons. I feel a bit selfish for bringing a child into a world that we continue to rape all of it's resources and pollute at an increasing level. what will this world look like in 20, 30, 50 years when our children will be adults. what will our consumerism and wars leave them. will there be any piece of peace left? will there be cold winters? water that's actually drinkable? air that’s breathable?

I appreciate your viewpoint and I thank you for leaving your thoughts. although i agree that raising children is an extremely selfless act. one, that i hope one day i wall be able to live out. i do wonder what the world will be like when my children grow up or my children’s children. right now there are cities being completely chipped away because of raising water due to global warming. we're in a war where i see no end in sight, most of our food is laden with chemicals, the rates of cancer, leukemia and other horrible diseases are on a vertical rise. this nation was founded in God's name, yet today it's cemented in money hungry millionaires who only think in dollar bills. i hope this world changes for our children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. and if it doesn't, God help us all.
Anonymous said…
amen, sister. i know that God said to be fruitful, but as a mother with eyes to see the crumbling world around me, it's very hard not to be concerned about the future of my children and the possibility of bringing more into the world. i guess that's where trust comes in. it's the mama bear in us, though, that wants to shield and protect our children.

Popular Posts