medical professionals

what is it with medical professionals losing their ability to relate to the general public? i see it all the time. i work with medical professionals. they're always using medical terms to people who don't understand medical terms or when medical terms aren't warranted. does it make them feel more important, or have they lost the ability to relate on a human level?

last week at the doctors office, i was talking to the nurse about my fear of taking drugs/vaccinations. i was telling her that i wanted to talk to the dr. about the necessity of getting the flu shot, because although i think it could be important, after losing our child, i'm afraid to take anything. she looks at me and says 'so you want to ask the dr. how important it is to get the flu shot because after your fetal demise, you're afraid to take medications.'.

'fetal demise'

i believe that steve and i had a child. a beautiful child. she may have come still into this world, but she was still a child. our child. i don't consider our child, our Jorai, a 'fetal demise'. and i have to say that i was severely disgusted with her comment. as if Jorai was a condition i had at one time, not a child.

why do most medical professionals go there? why do they depersonalize your life? when she said those 2 words, i was so taken aback that i didn't say anything. but i'm going to mention something to my dr. the next time i have an appointment. they need to realize how that comes across. especially to someone who has lost a child. whether they were lost in utero, right after birth, or at age 20...that child is still a child to the parents. they aren't a medical condition. Jorai wasn't a fetal demise. she was a child, a daughter and now a sister. she was loved and wanted and is mourned. she is a part of her father and i. don't disregard that.

Comments

Mindy Richmond said…
Wow, what a horribly cold term to use. You must have wanted to slap her silly. I know I would have.

I've never had a flu shot. Not because I'm opposed to it, but because I've never really thought it was necessary and no doctor has ever suggested it to me, even when I was pregnant.
Wendy said…
I cannot believe that she said that to you. I think I would have just broken down right there.

I'm sorry Kim!
Anonymous said…
"fetal demise" a term I've come to loathe. I'm sorry the nurse used this term to describe sweet Jorai. Unfortunately most dr.'s and nurses don't have tact when it comes to dealing with bereaved parents. Terms such of these are often heard from those who have no experience with the subject matter of losing a child. I'm so sorry that the nurse used such a term. It would be worth mentioning to your doctor that you don't wish to have such terms used in your presence and that you would rather have them use Jorai's name to describe her and the events surrounding her birth.

Popular Posts