pregnancy loss resources

i was on one of my favorite organic baby sites today when i realized they had items to 'help comfort' women who have gone through a loss. i thought it was really cool. i then started poking around and found that this site, that i've been on tons of times before, have a whole listing of loss resources. one of them was now i lay me down to sleep, which is an amazing organization that will come to you and take professional photos of you and your child for free. also on their site, is a page that helps give you ideas of how to help someone grieve. that was one of the biggest questions we got after the initial wave of grief had left, 'what do you suggest people do if someone they know goes though a loss?'.

every one is different. every one deals with loss differently. my brother, for example, never came to see us. in fact, he didn't call us for over a week and then he just tried to make jokes. he later told me that he was too bust with his 1 yr old. we haven't had the same relationship since. just recently, one of his best friends was in a car accident. his wife and son where really hurt and are currently in wheelchairs. sadly, his daughter died. this happened a week before Christmas. my brother didn't go to the funeral and my mom had to pressure him to call his best friend to offer his condolences. i guess why i'm telling this is to say that this is NOT the way to handle death.

steve and i just struggled with talking to someone who went through a loss. our immediate words where...'what do i say?'...and then it hit us, it doesn't matter what you say. it matters that you picked up that phone, or typed that email, sent a card, brought a meal. it matters that you care enough to say 'i'm so sorry, you're in my thoughts and prayers.' that short simple statement, that's a great start.

i can't tell you how much it means to me when i hear that people are still praying for us. the pain we felt, losing our daughter was raw and all consuming. and all i can truthfully say, is that without God, my husband and all of our family and friends praying for us, i seriously don't think i would have made it. my loss still pains me. but all those thoughts and prayers continue to pull me through.

so i thought that since i found this site and people and even myself are always asking, 'what can i do?', i figured that i needed to share it. so, anyway, if you're interested, here are ways to reach out to someone who has gone through a loss.

The list below has been compiled from the hearts of the bereaved parents of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. Here are some thoughts and ideas of what to say and/or do for a grieving parent and family...

Comments

Popular Posts