another joyful work update

this is getting almost funny now.

so my manager, who only converses with me when i've done something wrong or is 'disappointed' in me, came into my office yesterday to hand me my 'notice of last day of work'. with it she 'kindly' let me know that i couldn't call in sick or take vacation from now until i leave. which could be in 2 weeks or 2 months...if i call in sick, they won't give me my vacation pay-out, that right now sits at 48 hours.
side note...i called in sick the previous day since i was up all night with a sick husband...interesting that this came down today...

knowing my rights, and seeing what was written in the letter (if an employee calls in sick during their last 2 weeks, he/she may forfeit pay-out...) i said...isn't that just in the last 2 weeks? she sputtered and said, well i don't know, you'll have to look into your union contract.

so once again, management is trying to spin things. now,
i have to cover my arse and make sure that the sick time call in is only in the last 2 weeks. seeing that steve is still recovering from the flu and the possibility of me getting sick is there, i think this is ridiculous! they know i don't call in sick unless i'm sick. my manager said that they don't want me to start calling in sick every day. as if that would happen! i work 2 stinkin days a week...i think i can handle it. and it was my choice to continue to work and not quit right away. now i have to worry about getting my vacation pay-out which i've been saving up for since i don't get any fmla this time around.

the whole thing is crap. i have 46 hours sick and 48 hours vacation. i lose all of my sick since i haven't worked there for 7 years and i could lose all my vacation if i get sick. what is it with organizations that don't give a crap about their employees? where does that mentality come from. since i've graduated from college i've worked for 4 companies and only 1 of them was a great company to work for. another was a decent company to work for...but the other 2 were horrible. and what's interesting is that they were both local health departments. small governmental agencies who are there to help people. yet they care less for the people who work for them. i just don't get it.

i'm going to finish up my work with them, as long as the whole calling in sick is really just deemed inappropriate during the last 2 weeks i work...but when i leave, i truly will be so happy to be done with them. i've worked hard and have done tons of work in 2 major programs that they have. one was barely functioning when i started and i've completely revamped it to what it is today. yet none of those things matter to them. and with a team of about 100 employees, most at or near retirement age and many others wanting desperately to leave, they should start caring...they have some really amazing people that work there and unfortunately, they treat them all like crap. it's really, really sad.

i've never wanted to be a manager because all i see are crappy managers. but having gone through all this crap, there's something inside me that really wants to be a manager. i keep thinking about God as my boss and how sad He must be seeing all these people that He put in these positions, treating their subordinates so poorly. they must have the potential to be great managers if He placed them in those positions. but they've failed. it makes me want to step up and be that example. but with all the crappy managers out there, it makes me think that when you get those positions, it corrupts you. and i would never want that.

i don't know. it just really makes me sad when i think about all the time people spend at work, away from their family and things they love. they spend all this time working and being treated poorly and they're stressed and sad and hate what they do day in and day out...there has to be a better way. i truly hope and pray that some day, there will be a different norm in US society. because right now, i think it's deplorable.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow.

Popular Posts