technicality

i just got off the phone with a lady from a very prominent non-profit organization. she was asking me to participate in an upcoming fund-raiser, which i can't do...so she was just chit chatting with me. after me telling her that i was 7 months pregnant, she asked asked if this was my first. this is the second time i've been asked this question this morning! my response was no, that we had lost a daughter in june. her response? 'so technically, this is your first child then.'. i let it go, but immediately shut down to her and quickly got off the phone. what i wanted to say was...
umm...no! technically, it's our second. we currently have a child and are pregnant with our second. our daughter's name was Jorai Mae. She was 28 weeks, 4 days old when we delivered her. She was beautiful and although she's not physically with us now, she's in our hearts and thoughts daily.
please, please, please...if you know someone who has lost a child, at any age, remember that child, don't act or talk as if the child never existed. that child did exist. and that child will continue to exist with every breath taken of the people the child had touched.

Comments

ugh! That lady should think before she speaks. I haven't encountered that yet, but I'm sure I will.
Phoenix Rising said…
silly people...they mean well don't they?!? they're just clueless.
Anonymous said…
It's really great to hear about the greif and healing from your perspective, someone who's been through it...I take your advice to heart, it's hard to know how sensative to be toward someone who's been through a loss! Any loss!

Popular Posts