placenta craziness

so...

steve and i are thinking about dehydrating and encapsulating my placenta. we've been reading up on it...and i know it sounds a bit kooky and gross...but it has many great and powerful attributes...some are:
  • balance your system
  • replenish depleted iron
  • give you more energy
  • lessen bleeding post-natally
  • been shown to increase milk production
  • help decrease risk/effects of postpartum depression
  • hasten return of uterus to pre-pregnancy state
i know a few folks who have literally eaten their placenta raw, which i simply couldn't do, no matter what benefits it would give me. but if all i have to do is take a pill, that would be cool.

i kinda think we're out there a bit on this natural craziness limb, but if you think of how miraculous and life giving the placenta is and how many nutrients and hormones it contains, it just kinda seems silly to simply throw it away. but we may also just be becoming a bit crazy...we'll see...

i'm still not sure about the decision, but it just seems cool and in a way it kinda makes sense to me. here's a site that gives a lot of research and stuff about it...if you're interested...



Comments

ShannaKay said…
I'm actually doing this!! I was going to do it with Barend, but after Kip from the birth center told me about it, a few weeks after I had him, I had already made the decision that I didn't need my placenta and they just stuck it in the freezer at the birth center w/o my name on it (after he was born) among others. So i didn't know which one was mine :( I know a person there that will do the dehydrating and encapsulation stuff for you within 24hrs of birth if you decide to go for it.
Phoenix Rising said…
so cool. we'll be placenta buddies! HA!

Popular Posts