jaundice update

i hit another bottom, but then it was ok...

when we went to the doc this morning she told me that i'd have to start giving asher supplemental feedings of formula for the next 24-48 hours. ugh, i was devastated. our doc thought that we had the breastfeeding form of jaundice which i guess happens in a few people who have an enzyme in their breast milk that hinders the breakdown of bilirubin...i was so mad...

so she prescribed me a breast pump and supplemental nurser and my mom and i made our way to the med. supply place to pick them up. my insurance didn't cover a breast pump...so that was going to be almost $100 and then the supplemental nurser was going to be about $50. even more angered, i called the doc back and asked what to do...the nurse told me to leave because she didn't want me to spend that much for 2 days of breast pumping and that she'd talk to the doc.

in the car on the way home, my home nurse called to tell me that asher's bilirubin was down to 17! he went down by 3!!! yea!!! so the doc was happy and allowed us to wait on the supplemental feeding for another day to see if his bilirubin goes down any more. that made me happy!!!

please pray that it continues to go down. we'd love for him to get this out of his system, off the bili-blanket and far, far away from any formula! thanks for all your prayers so far! more updates to come....

Comments

Tricia said…
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the jaundice stuff! We had the same thing with Ethan. We used to call him our jedi-kid because of how he looked with that light thing around his belly!

We'll keep praying for Asher, and for you too :)

Love ya!
Wendy said…
Kim -- If you need a pump, don't buy one. I have a medula pump in style that I just quite using because I ran out of milk. You can use it and just buy new tubing and stuff for them --- it would be soooo much cheaper that way!

Let me know if you need it.
Sounds like it's been a crazy adventure. I keep praying that Asher's jaundice clears quickly.

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for posting updates I was wondering how you are doing - I miss you and please post more pictures. Michelle
Phoenix Rising said…
thanks wendy!

Popular Posts