realization

i've known for some time now how working as a stay at home mom will affect us financially and for the most part, i'm fine with it. we do some finagling, we frugally shop, we don't eat out as much or buy what we want when we want it, unless we're lucky and find it at goodwill, and voila, we're getting by. but on a day like today, when i want to plan a trip to washington in the summer or arizona in february and i just can't justify it, it's frustrating. a trip to wasington with flight and car for the 3 of us will run almost a grand with the prices i've seen. a trip to arizona for just me and asher would be around $300. even the $300 i can't justify right now.

living 32 years without a child spoiled me i think. but now, working the hardest job i've ever had and not making a dime is hard. i have all the vacation time in the world, but nothing to vacation on.

this isn't a bummer post. i'm not complaining. i wouldn't change my situation one bit, well, unless i could win the lottery...i have the best job i could ever imagine. i get to watch my son grow and learn and i get to be a part of his life. i get to be apart of his growing and learning. i can go without new clothes or new car or vacation to have this. it's just an adjustment.

i always new that becoming a parent would change my life, but i never knew how much. how every faucet of my life would be altered. my friendships, my relationship with my husband, my spirituality, my body..you name it..it's changed. i long to get away. to be alone. go shopping, go on a walk, to a movie. any thing for some personal time...but when i'm alone, i miss asher. if i'm driving all by myself, i catch myself looking back in the rear-view mirror to see my boy. the whole thing is silly. i try to make sense of it, but there's no making sense of it.

i feel as if i'm in a huge adjustment area of my life. trying to find balance and 'me' in this new life. it's hard.

Comments

Wendy said…
Kim ---

Don't forget the value of vacations! Sometimes even though they can be expensive you need that time away from the everyday chores of life to reconnect with Steve and Asher.

I have so much more fun with Jake when we are on vacation because I don't have to focus on dishes, laundry, etc.

Just a thought to keep in mind as you try to justify the prices.
Tali said…
you said what we're all feeling! it's the hardest job in the world, being a mom. what i long to do is relax again. to truly let go. is it possible?

Popular Posts