Sleepy question

Asher is starting to play in his crib at naptime if he's not exhausted and falls asleep nursing. What do you lovely ladies do, or did you do with your 10-12 month old, if they decided to not sleep but play in their crib?

He's happy. He's not crying...he's just hanging out, walking back and forth, talking to himself, taking off his socks...anything but falling asleep. I have been going in there after 15 minutes or so to nurse/rock him down because I'm not sure if he'll put himself down. After talking to a friend just a moment ago, she suggested that I just leave him to see if he does calms himself down. If he's not crying why not, right?

I don't know why I haven't done that yet. It seems silly now as I'm typing this...I guess I'm just used to nursing him and placing him in his crib almost asleep and him just falling asleep...not this crazy energy boy!

Do you all think I should just let him play and see if he puts himself down? How long should I leave him? If I go back in and nurse him after 15 minutes or so, he falls asleep in my arms, so I know he's sleepy. What do you think?

Comments

I say give it a try.. If he's happy and content then there's no harm in trying.
Leesa said…
I would, and still do, leave Noah in his crib. Once I lay him down for a nap, he doesn't get up until he has napped. The other day he was in his crib for over 4 hours, including the nap. I knew he was tired and he wasn't crying. Asher will be fine and will eventually fall asleep if you leave him in there. Good luck!
Tali said…
kim, i've read that as long as a baby has down time when he's supposed to, even if sometimes you can't get a nap out of them, it is ok. with that said,
i do think that asher will surprise you. luci has done that with me. sometimes i think she'll never go down because of all the babbling and wild behavior going on in the crib but eventually she puts herself to sleep!
ShannaKay said…
barend wouldnt stay put (but we didn't use a crib) so i would have to lay in there with him till he fell asleep. juniper, however, sleeps on her own. i lay her on barends old crib mattress next to our bed and sometimes she'll get up and babble and talk and move around, but then 15 -20 min later i go in to check her and she's out like a light. it happens at night too.

i don't think i would recommend putting alot of toys in the crib (maybe just a soft book or one stuffed animal), because if he's not sleeping and just playing later on he might (at night when its bed time) start associating crib time to "play time".

Popular Posts