walking trauma

Asher's walking! It's all a bit soon and crazy, but he's walking! I never thought I'd have a 10 month old walker...but I do. He loves his new freedom...but he also gets VERY frustrated when he falls...and I've turned into a basket case, riddled with fear.

Since Saturday his mouth has bled 3 times. 3. Yesterday he was bleeding so badly I almost took him to the ER. But it stopped and he seemed fine. He keeps falling into things...mainly tables or chairs. Always face first of course. When he's on carpet with a wide open space he'll fall on his butt...but if there's something in front of him...for some reason, he'll lunge forward hitting his head. I haven't seen blood coming from my son since his heel pricks when we had to check his bilirubin levels and now in 4 days he's bled so much, that both him and I have been covered. It freaks me out.

Just 30 minutes ago he fell when holding onto his sippy and the straw part poked him in his eye. Well, really his lid, but he wouldn't open his eye for about 5 minutes and then he'd only open it part way. Now he has this huge purple scrape on his eyelid. Thankfully the straw was bendy. I just don't know what to do. He loves to hold stuff when he's walking, but obviously that's not safe and he loves walking...but he's having a rough go with that lately.

I feel like I need a huge gerbil ball to put him in so he could walk and not get hurt, or maybe a padded cell. Is this a normal phase for boys? I see his little girlfriends walk and they're so careful and dainty. Asher is like a drunken sailor that just can't sit still and HAS to be lugging around something to show off his brut strength.

I just can't handle it. Yesterday I thought about taking him to the ER and have been worried about his teeth ever since...now I'm worried about his eyesight. He seems fine, but it's freaking me out. Any suggestions or is this just a phase?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good news and bad news. Yes it is a phase he will get much better at the walking. Bad news being a busy little boy he will have you on the edge of your seat for a long time yet!! My second son who is almost eight is as busy as they come. I learned real quick with him to just relax and let him go (within reason.) I simply could not keep up with him! Knock on wood, he has yet to have a broken bone or stitches. Now his older brother who I was much more cautious with has had both a broken arm and stitches, go figure.

Cindy Agnew
ShannaKay said…
barend had a few tumbles that almost cost him a trip to the ER. I would recommend making a "safe place" for him to practice walking around. Clear it out of sharp corners, end tables..yada yada yada. put some of his toys in there too. he probably lunges for something, cause he's about to fall and wants to steady himself. does he have on of those push toys? you could encourage him to use that..it'll give him something to hold, but will also allow him to have something a bit more steady to help him balance and get used to his legs :) it's definately a phase and he'll get more confident.

remember that the mouth is so full of blood vessels, so sometimes it looks worse than it actually does. keep good pressure on it and wait till it stops bleeding. trust your judgement too..you know asher and if he seems inconsolable take him in.

how's the biting situation going? been thinking about you!

Popular Posts