naughty boy

I've been having some issues with Asher. It's been hard too because he's such a good boy. We've never really had any issues. He's laid back and loving, but since he's found his new talent of walking he's become a VERY busy lil' man. He's always on the go. He always has to be in something or doing something, which isn't an issue, other than me being exhausted at the end of the day!

Our issue? Diapers. One issue is that he likes to take them off. Preferably after a rather large poo and within his sleeper. So not only do I have a sticky, stinky little boy to attend to, but I also have a sticky and stinky sleeper to attend to. Not fun! To top it off, he has begun to HATE getting his diaper changed. HATE! If I try to lay him on the floor he immediately flips over. If I try to place him of the changing table he grabs a hold of the side and flips himself over. There's grunting and screaming involved. As if I used to beat him as I changed him in the past. It's like he knows something terrible is about to happen and I have no idea why. I've always tried to make diaper change time somewhat fun. I give him toys, I make funny faces and blow air on him. He used to laugh and have fun but now it's torture. Wet diapers are fine, but when there's junk in there, it makes a very messy situation. And it's so frustrating. I'm starting to resent him at diaper changes. I'm starting to get really angry and hate that time. I dread it. And to top it off, when we're all done, he puts his arms up to be held and then pushes me away as soon as I try to snuggle. So I put him down thinking he wants to get down but he immediatly cries to be held again. So I pick him up and hold him but he pushes me away again. I got so frustrated this morning that I put him down and walked away for awhile as he cried on the floor.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a phase? Have you mama's watched your children go through this? Any suggestions? I'm really starting to lose it. And it sucks, because for all other times of the day, he's a dream. He just turns into a little monster at diaper changes.

Comments

Katie said…
Um, you pretty much described EVERY DAY in our house.
Haze is doing better with diapers - I started putting a sticker on her hand every time we changed her - and she gets so absorbed in peeling it off and sticking it other places that she doesn't seem to mind the diaper process anymore.
We do the "pick me up, put me down" CONSTANTLY - and sometimes all you can do is walk away for a minute - I always try to say something encouraging, like "come with Mama, we'll find a toy" and we go to a different room or something... but THAT is a phase, for sure. Just don't know when it ends...
Hang in there - I hope playtime today is WONDERFUL!
Mindy Richmond said…
Totally a phase, and hopefully a short one. Of course sometimes that particular phase can come back (Luke still can get quite defiant about diaper changes, and he's much stronger and stinkier now). I can relate to the anger, I would get so mad I would sometimes fear I would hurt him. All I can say is just keep doing your best and remember it won't last forever.
ShannaKay said…
yup a phase :) juniper is doing it now. i think its they are so busy and want to be on the go, any "laying down time" is out of the question in their minds :) hugs!! when all else fails, laugh. it'll ease the tension. luv ya!
Anonymous said…
For the diaper issue, just turn it around and put it on backwards. It takes a few months for them to figure out the reverse tabs. Once they figure that out, it's duct tape time. Problem solved. Worked for all four of mine.

As far as the 'pick me up, put me down', it's a phase. Just remember, you set the pace and expectations. They will catch on. If you guys do end up having a second child, I can't wait until you go back and read some of your older posts like this. You are going to laugh....in a good way. You really are sweating over nothing. I know it really seems like such a big deal when you are in it and you think your kid has serious issues, but everything is ok.
Phoenix Rising said…
Thanks ladies. I just bought a few snap diapers, but someone has told me about turning them backwards. It's just so hard to put him in a diaper right now, I can't even imagine trying to do one backwards! But I'll try. And for the anonymous comment. I know that I'll look back at these moments and laugh. I already have when I look back to just 6 months ago! :-) It's just oh, so frustrating when you're in the thick of it.

Thanks for all the encouragement. It does really help!

Popular Posts