Should I continue as is or change things up?

Asher's an amazing sleeper. We've had issues getting him down in the past and struggled at the beginning with super short naps, but all in all, he's a really good sleeper. He normally averages 11 hours a night, waking up once...maybe twice. And he takes 2 naps which last anywhere between 1.5-3 hours in length...they're usually 1.5.

He used to be super scheduled...on his terms. He used to wake at 8, nap from 10:30-noon and then 3-4:30 and then be sleeping by 8pm. He still can only stay up for about 2.5 hours in the am and 3 in the pm, but his naps now are determined when he wakes. Which in a way is fine, but on days like today when we have a play date at our house at 1...and he just fell asleep @ 11:50...it cuts things really close. And if this is one of his 3 hour naps, which I highly doubt, but you never know, our afternoon will turn into a mama socialization with friends and babies while Asher sleeps...which isn't a bad thing...but I like him to get his social on too.

Any way, here's my dilemma/question. Because Asher is such a superb sleeper, if he wakes before I'm ready to get up, or if I think he needs more sleep, I can nurse him, place him back in his crib and he
usually falls right back to sleep. Lately, he's been waking up at 6:30. This morning I should have gotten him up because he fell asleep right at 8...but for the past week or so, he has been going down around 9, so when 6:30 hits, I know he needs more sleep. But back to today, 6:30 hit and I chose to lay him back down because I was still sleepy. I woke at 7:45 and tried continually with back rubs, calling his name and even loud noises to arose him from 8-8:40. He finally woke at 8:50. So last night he got almost 13 hours of sleep. If he takes 2, 1.5 hour naps today, is he getting too much sleep?

Should I not be trying to get him back down? One part of me thinks that if he falls asleep easily himself, he must have needed the sleep...but another part of me thinks I just need to get up and start our day. I would love to get back to the 8am wake time...but I don't know how to get him there.

Tomorrow we have a big Trader Joes/Whole Foods day so I'm going to keep him up if he wakes at 6, so I guess I'll see how things go tomorrow. In the past, if he wakes at 6:30/7am he's a crank. But if he gets that additional hour in he's so happy. Maybe he just needs more sleep than the 'normal' baby...I don't know. What do all you mama's out there think? Should I keep him up when he first wakes in the morning? Should I lay him back down? Is he getting too much sleep?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

There's no such thing as too much sleep :)
I always try to get Kate to go back to sleep when she wakes around 6, and if she does, then she needs it. If she doesn't go back to sleep within 10 - 15 minutes then we get up.
Tali said…
asher and luci are so much alike. i always wonder how some moms claim that their kids are on such strict schedules and can't believe that luci is not. sometimes she gets up at 6 sometimes 8 so that means her napping is nothing to set a clock by.
however, my motto is, do for your baby like you would like done for you. i wouldn't want to be woken from a nap and if i could sleep later every morning, you bet i would!
i figure for now, i'm on luci time which most of the time is not convenient for me. :)
asher sounds like he's sleeping wonderfully and is just a typical man! ha
ShannaKay said…
barend did the same thing :) i went with his pattern of sleep. sometimes he would wake early (6am -7am) and sometimes later (8am-9am). i would agree with Ms. Beth :) If he seems to want to go back to sleep, put him down. If not try and drag yourself out of bed too :) :) Miss you! Oh, I have something for Asher. Somehow I'll get it to you :)
Katie said…
Just talked with Mark about this same thing last night... how Hazel's 7:00 bedtime can really put a damper on our evening fun - it's hard to go over to have dinner with other people, or to have them over for dinner. Bathtime starts at 6:30 - most people are eating dinner!
But she's SO MUCH happier when this schedule is in place - predictable sleeping at night, mostly very predictable naps (give or take 30-60 minutes) and I know what to expect. It's just the season of life right now (and probably for the next few years as more littles arrive on the scene...)
And hey - we've done Trader Joe's with cranky babies before- it's still fun!! :)
Still sad we're missing playdates... maybe by the fall we'll be able to make it for those (I'm sure I'll need it!!)

Popular Posts