Advice please.

For the past year and almost 1 week, I have nursed Asher to sleep. Well, not 'to sleep', but it's the last thing that happens before I place him in his crib at night. He's one of those kids that's ALWAYS on the go, unless he's nursing to sleep. That is the only thing that calms him down. Although he loves baths and gets them almost nightly, they're not a calming time. They're a play and splash time. We read books, but that too is not a real quiet time as he's walking around with the book, pulling out toys and really, not even paying attention to the book most times. So here's the delima...

I'm the solo putter to bed parent. Steve helps with baths and PJ's and stories, but then it's all me. I actually love this time. But I also would love to not be strapped down at bed time. I'd like to have a sitter some nights who could put the boy down. We've started to talk about sleep training Asher to get him used to not having me around as the last calmer, but we don't know how to do it...how to start. I've talked to one of my friends already, but I wanted to know if anyone else had any ideas. Should we start with bedtime? Should I start with nap time? Should we tackle both at once? I was thinking about nursing him before his bath and then having Steve rock and read to him. Once Steve puts him down and he starts screaming, because I know he will...should we take turns going up to calm him? Or should it be just Steve? I know if I go up, he'll point to his nursing chair, as he always does...and I don't want to break down...

How long should I let him fuss before I nurse him? Or should I never nurse him? I'm anxious already. I know it's going to be a loud and stressful few nights. And I know I brought this on myself, but it felt right for our family to do that...it's just going to be a rough transition.

Anyway, if anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears.

Comments

Tali said…
kim, if you have a pump, maybe you can go at it gradually, starting with night time, having steve give asher your milk from a cup. luci won't take a bottle but she will drink my milk from a cup when we have a babysitter at night or my mom in law watches her on thursdays. (other than that i just straight up nurse). it's worked well for us that way.
then maybe once you get nighttime down, you can start during the day. not nursing to sleep, but rather taking that cup in to his room, reading a story to him, giving him a sip of water, and then laying him down. that's what we're trying to do with lu and it's getting a lot easier.
lu's certainly not the poster child of going down to sleep easy but that's what we are trying to do!
Tali said…
i should also add that you're still nursing of course, just getting him more used to a cup to help transition and not having to rely on nursing to sleep!
Phoenix Rising said…
Thanks Tali. He drinks from a sippy, but we haven't even tried a bottle in probably 6 months. If he doesn't take a bottle or his sippy, we'll try a cup. You think I should pump? I haven't done that in 6 months! I don't know if I want to do that every night! I was hoping to start giving him some milk soon. We're going to talk to our doc in a week.
Tali said…
i'm the first to say pumping sucks! i don't think you should for long, maybe just to introduce something other than your boob as a soother off to sleep. and with steve giving it to him, maybe he won't rely on just you? just my feeble attempt at a suggestion! i've been pumping all along so lucia has had another option at least one day a week so she's had to make due!
i try to nurse luci when she wakes up, then after her morning nap instead of before to get her away from nursing to sleep. it's so much easier to nurse her to sleep now, but i know i'll pay later. we're still a work in progress though, that is for sure.
i too hope to give milk to lucia very soon after her first birthday and want to gradually ween her from there. it makes me sad thinking about it, but i'll be proud of myself for going at it for a year and it will be nice to wear a normal bra again!
good luck!
ShannaKay said…
for barend (mind you this was at 2yrs because once he stopped nursing to go to sleep he stopped nursing), i nursed him for about 5-10min and then took him off and said "nurses went night night and you need to too." i would then lay him down and snuggle next to him. if/when he fussed more and kept asking i would encourage him that mama is here and to lay down and go to sleep. if he cried and screamed i would put him back on for 2-5min and then take him off and repeat the process until he fell asleep. i kept all the other things that we did every bedtime the same, book reading, teeth brushing, potty, etc. it's hard work getting him to know that he doesn't "need" to nurse to fall asleep and it'll take time. give it at least a month and if the process that you're using doesn't work try something different. but patience is key. stay patient with him cause he's learning and be patient with yourself cause you are learning too. so far with juniper she can fall asleep on the floor by herself for all she cares. lately though she wants to be in her bed with her blankies and mama singing in order for her to fall asleep. kids can be totally different.

Popular Posts