Breakfast Oatmeal

Oatmeal has been Asher's breakfast mainstay from the beginning. I make 1 cup of oatmeal (which then makes about 2 cups cooked) that I keep in the refrigerator and it lasts about a week. Every day I spoon out some and serve warm with fruit puree, fresh cut fruit and plain yogurt.

The oatmeal I make is 3/4 cup rolled oats and 1/4 cup barley. When cooking, I usually add a little clove, allspice and a lot of cinnamon.

The puree can be anything, but as of July '09 ours has: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, mango, peach, plum and apple. I make tons and freeze in portions.

The recipe:
  • spoon out about 2-2 1/2 tablespoons of oatmeal and place in a pan (we don't have a microwave...but, you could place it all in a micro too)
  • add some puree and warm.
  • place some some fresh fruit in a bowl...I usually add strawberries, bananas and avocado. I smash it or cut in it into small cubes...but you can do what ever you want.
  • stir in the oatmeal and top off with about a 1/4 a cup of plain yogurt.
  • some times, I also add a egg yolk.
Asher loves it. Enjoy

Comments

Jenny Cole said…
No micro by choice?
Phoenix Rising said…
It used to be by choice. I just kinda got freaked out by what all those microwaves were doing to my food. Someday I think it would be nice to have one, but we have such minimal counter space, I don't want to deal with it. And the hood ones are too pricey...

Popular Posts