sleep schedule advice

I need advice from all you mama's out there. Asher's daily schedule is so mismatched that's it starting to become a royal pain. But I want what's best for him and am willing to keep things as is if that's what's best...but I'm also willing to change things up...anyway, please advise me!! :-)

Asher has had the same 'schedule' since probably around 7 months or so. He wakes anywhere between 6-9, is awake for 2 1/2 hours and then goes down for a nap, which lasts anywhere from an hour and 1/2 -3 hours. He's then up for 3 hours and takes another nap, lasting around 1-2 hours. At night he usually is always down by 8, with the exception of Saturday night where he's up until 8:30/9ish.

My problem is that I have no idea when he'll wake for the day. Though it's usually around 7-7:30, like I said, it could be as early as 6 and as late as 9, which throws off his naps. Today, since he slept so late, I pushed him a bit and didn't put him down for 3 hours and 15 minutes, hoping he'll take 1 long nap and then be able to make it until bedtime.

I would be willing to start transitioning him to 1 nap, but on days where he wakes at 6, he's exhausted by 8:30/9 and needs a morning nap. It's almost as if his body isn't ready to wake at 6, but his brain is...and there's no getting him back down! But this morning he woke at 6:40 and I knew he was still exhausted, so I nursed him and laid him back down...he fell right back to sleep until 9. I was surprised that he was actually tired by 11:30 this morning, since he got 13 hours of sleep last night. It was hard to push him the extra 45 minutes.

We miss out on play dates and it's getting hard to schedule Dr. appointments now without a babysitter available since I never know when he'll wake up or nap or anything. It's just so hard to plan our days.

Should I just leave things as is and let him work things out? Or should I try to help him get on a schedule? Again, as frustrating and annoying as it is to never know what the day will entail, I would rather him be happy and rested...which he seems to be...but I do want what's best for him too. Would it be better for him to be put on a better schedule? And if so, what should I do?

Any suggestions would be lovely. Thanks in advance ladies.

Comments

Wendy said…
I stick with your bedtime because that is working well. Then I would start waking him up at the time you desire .... 7:30 perhaps. If he gets up earlier then try to hold him out for a nap. If he's still sleeping he may take a longer nap for you.

It's always worth a try... if it doesn't work, you can always go back.

Popular Posts