Help needed in the toddler department please

Asher used to be a fabulous eater. Anything I placed before him was gone. Meat, veggies, fruit, cheese....even beets and broccoli. And then he hit 15 months and everything went down the crapper. Things he'll eat one day will be thrown off his tray another. The only things I know he'll eat is peanut butter on anything, catchup and scrambled eggs. Today, after struggling to get him to eat something for lunch, I caved and gave him apples and peanut butter. After making him a new chicken salad recipe with grapes for dinner, he spat out his test bite and refused to eat anything else. I even tried spaghetti! So again, I caved and gave him...yup...peanut butter on bread.

I'm getting so freakin' frustrated! I keep trying new recipes and new styles but for the most part he either tosses them off his tray...another annoyance of mine...or spits it out and refuses to open his mouth for anything else.

I've seriously considered the 'oh, well...if you're not going to eat what mama gives you, then you'll go to bed hungry' tactic...but I just can't. He's too little and really, I'll be the one getting up with him in the early morning to nurse or feed him, so what's the point?

He refuses all veggies now, unless I hide them. And it pisses me off because I know he likes them. He used to eat them just fine for months! Most meat products I have to dip in catchup, for him to eat them. I need help. I'm getting towards the end of my rope and am about to let Steve make him all his food.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Mandie Oliver said…
honestly, kim, it's just what happens when you have a toddler (not what you wanted to hear, i am sure). when he gets even a few months older, he will cry and cry for (fill in the blank) and if you don't get it to him in just enough (toddler) time, forget it. he won't even want it. i hide veggies in lots of things. sometimes your child will grow out of this phase, sometimes not. depends on the child in most cases. there are some things that i am a stickler on...but at 15 months, i would just try to find creative ways to hide veggies.
just my two cents, though...
Tali said…
You know I'm dealing with the same thing Kim! The only thing I can do is hide the veggies. I put small layers of black beans and sweet potato/carrot/squash puree in cheese quesadillas, spinach puree in spaghetti sauce (but you said he won't eat spaghetti!), sweet potato or carrot puree in her french toast, cauliflower puree in her eggs... I just hide it to know she's getting some veggies! The green ones are really hard though.
Good luck. I know it's frustrating, especially after preparing a nice meal only for it to get chucked on the ground.
ShannaKay said…
hugs! it can be very frustrating when your child doesn't eat what you give them. barend went on a strawberry binge and wouldn't eat anything else for the longest time. same with pba&j. one thing i noticed with barend was that if he had alot of juices throughout the day he wouldn't eat other food food (something that he's going through now).

It'll work out :) Kids will eat when they are hungry. what i try to do in light of my "light eaters" i cut up a plate of fruits and veggies and crackers and then have it on the table. so then instead of them eating a "breakfast" or "lunch" or "dinner" they eat snacks all day. i try to keep a variety of stuff, so they get different vitamins, yada. as long as they aren't eating sweets all day, i don't mind them not eating when we eat. in fact (since i've been pregnant) i've found their methodology in eating fits my nausea and the need to eat constantly but small light snacks :) love ya! just my two cents :)
Katie said…
Here's the link to the powder stuff - http://www.amazinggrass.com/kidz-superfood-powder.html
Hazel LOVES it and it makes me feel better about the veggie-snafu! :)

Popular Posts