Helping or hurting?

While talking to my sister-in-law today, I learned that 2 years ago, my 7 year old nephew, decided that he's never having children after learning that Jorai passed. Now in context, He had learned of his other cousin's passing just a few months earlier...and then Jorai...but he was only 7. 7, and already making the decision to not have children. And now Selah...

My brother and sister-in-law have yet to tell their 2 kids about Selah. She wanted my opinion on what to do...what do you do? She wants to honor Selah's life, but she doesn't want to scare her children either. Those kids have lost 3 of their cousins in 3 years. 1 died of trisomy 18 just hours after his birth and then Jorai and Selah. 3. I then learned that a 10 year old boy died of leukemia last fall in their community. How much death needs to touch my family? It just doesn't make sense.

And how do you tell a 7 and 9 year old about another cousin that has died? How do you tell them without making them even more scared? I can't believe that my nephew at 7 years old, was already scared to have children in the future...how at telling him now at 9, will the truth of another cousin dying help him?

Comments

Popular Posts