miscarriages in movies

I never really noticed all the miscarriage scenes in movies before....or maybe it just never stuck, never felt so raw, but since losing Jorai and now Selah, it's a double edged sword. On one side, I like seeing it displayed on the big screen and think there should be more of it. I also think there should be more stories of couples who go through late term loss as well. More people should know just how often it happens. Which is approximately 1 in 115 births, which is roughly 26,000 stillbirths each year in the US alone, or on an average of one every 20 minutes. But then there's the other side. The side that reminds me that I hate seeing it. I hate remembering it. I hate hearing the words 'sorry, there's no heartbeat.'. Those words have echoed in my ears for the past 2 1/2 years. When I see a movie or read a book, I'm wanting to escape. I'm wanting to fall into the life of another. A happier life. A different life. I want to forget about my pain. My loss. And to see my life played out on the big screen...well...sucks.

So what's better. Keeping my reality alive for other's to see and maybe because of it, it could raise more awareness, more legislation? Or taking it out, so people like me don't have to be reminded of it when all they want is to escape?

Comments

Popular Posts