De-sugar my life please

I'm a sugarholic. Seriously. I don't want to blame my folks...since I'm almost 35 now...I think it's beyond that. And the thing is, I want to raise my child the same way. I grew up in a house of only a few sugary items. Let's just say that 'Santa' brought us sugared cereal on Christmas...1 box each...and we got to pick out 1 faygo soda on our Saturday morning grocery trip to have at dinner as Saturday night was always hamburger night. Of course we had cookies and cakes...and we normally had some type of dessert after dinner, but for the most part my folks steered us away from sugar. And I appreciate it greatly. But now, I LOVE sugar. Spree's and brownies and cookies and chocolate and sour patch kids...ice-cream and candy and sugar, sugar, sugar. I eat it all day. Every day. I need it. Even on days I think I'm doing well staying away from it, I'm not. I'm an addict.

For about 6 months now, I've been thinking about cleansing my body of my sugar habit, but I just don't want to. I want to, but ya know...I don't. I like it too much. Sugar to me, is like a cigarette for others. I crave it. As each month passes, I've still done nothing about my sugar habit. But that changed today. This morning, I woke to a new outlook and in one sweeping moment, I took all the sugar products, minus Asher's granola bars and honey, out of the cabinet. Everything. Needless to say, my cupboards are pretty bare now.

It's been 7 wakeful hours off sugar. And I was doing pretty well, until noon hit. For the past two hours, it's all I've been thinking about. I've heard the fourth or fifth day is the worst. That scares me. But I can do this. I need to do this.

This is what I'm giving up. Sugar. Raw sucrose sugar. I'm giving up candies and cakes and brownies and pie and chocolate and jams and ice-cream. What I'm not giving up are grains, breads and fruit. In fact I'm about to eat an apple after I finish typing this. But I'm realizing that I need to get some more veggies and appropriate snacky items. I'm going to bake some crackers tonight and go shopping for healthy-non-sugar snacks. I can do this...I can do this...I'm excited about this process and a new health outlook. I can do this.

If I ask you for a brownie, slap me silly!

Comments

SnoWhite said…
Way to go! You can do it. The more and more I learn about sugar's influence on your system the more I too want to no longer consume it!
Susan said…
I actually found day 2 to be the worst and it was WAY easier after that.

Popular Posts