Complete and Total Barf-A-Rama

Do you remember the story Gordy told in the movie 'Stand By Me', about Davie 'Lardass' Hogan? The one about the pie eating contest where the picked on kid got even by eating too much pie, and then made himself puke all over everyone...well...this is the vision I get some times when someone says something ridiculous.

I know it's wrong....but when I hear someone complaining about their pregnancy or telling me or someone else how disappointed they are about being pregnant....I wish I could open my mouth and spew puke all over them.

I know...it's really mean. I know pregnancy is hard...I know that pregnancies sometimes come when they're not planned...but for all of my friends who have tried for years to conceive and have yet to have success, to all my friends who have lost one, two, three, plus...children and for my own hurt, all I want to do is scream. All I want to do is grab onto their shoulders and shake them silly. I want them to take one step in my shoes or the shoes of my friends. Maybe then they could take one minute to be grateful, thankful and feel blessed.

I know I have a very exposed and sensitive nerve on this subject, and I know people are just being people and 'not meaning' what they say...at least I hope they don't. But if I'm being totally honest...which I think you all know by now that I am...this is what I really want to do.

Comments

My brother's girlfriend is pregnant with their second "oops" baby and is due 10 days after me. All she has done is complain to everyone who will listen about how miserable she is and how she cant wait until August gets here so she can be "done". I wanna smack her upside the head. She has no clue how lucky she is and knowing her, she will never know how good she has it..
When people ask me how the pregnancy is going, I will always say "fabulous". It doesn't matter how uncomfortable I am or how many times I get up to pee at night -- I feel so fortunate to be able to talk to this little one in my belly and feel her wiggle within. I will cherish each kick and punch because I know that nothing is guaranteed in life.
:) I didn't mean to write a novel on the subject, but there ya go!
Tali said…
i feel the exact same way. i only struggled for less than a year with infertility issues, but i vowed to myself once i got pregnant i would never complain like nearly everyone i know does.
if i were you, i'm afraid i might choke someone!
i will complain about the picture you posted though, because i looked at it while eating my morning snack and had to quickly turn away because i almost barfed! LOL
cheers to pregnancy and everything that comes along with it!
Phoenix Rising said…
Beth, That sucks. Ya know, pregnancy is hard. We all complain, but it's just hard when I seem to hear it so much, or when someone says that they're 'unfortunately' pregnant.

Tali, HA!!! Sorry. I loved that scene in the movie. I can't believe I found a still pic of it!!! Sorry! :-)
Unknown said…
funny, when I first opened this page I nearly skipped this post because I "knew" you'd be talking about nausea and how sick you were feeling.

not that you can't talk about how sick you feel, but, well, after reading this post,

you get it. :)
Phoenix Rising said…
yup...I do. Hugs
Unknown said…
and when people say "unfortunately" pregnant and roll their eyes, or whatever, it feels to me like they're acting like it's such an inconvenience...like it's some trite thing that is easy to achieve.

NO one knows that they are actually going to have a baby until they see that screaming, living baby in their arms. i have had more than one friend who said, "i can't wait to be done", and they had stillborn children, with nothing apparently wrong...

they don't say that any more.
Laine said…
Yeah. Since my miscarriage, I've had a really hard time listening to people complain about being pregnant. A REALLY hard time. I never considered barfing on them, but it's certainly an idea...
Phoenix Rising said…
Laine, I did know you went through a miscarriage. I'm so sorry for your loss. That sucks.

Popular Posts