near-death

One day shy of turning two, I almost lost my boy. This was the first time I've actually been really scared.

While we were on a walk tonight, we stopped by a friends house. All was fine until my son and his friend decided to walk down the hill to their backyard. What I had forgotten, was that they had a coi pond in the back. It wasn't until my friend reminded me that it started to sink in how much Asher loves water. As soon as I started to walk towards their backyard I saw Asher going right towards the thing. I started running and yelling 'STOP!, STOP!'. But as always, he didn't stop and to my horror I saw him slip in. He flipped to his back and started sinking. By the time I reached him, his mouth and nose was under the water and these huge brown eyes were staring at me with such fright that I almost lost it. But thankfully I kept my calm and my mama instincts kicked in. I caught his pant leg and lifted him right out of the water. He was freaked. I was freaked. I'm just so glad that I was right there to grab it out. If I got there just a few moments later he would have been submerged and the water was so green, I may not have seen him.

I couldn't stop kissing him as I was rocking him tonight. I keep going in to check on him as he sleeps. I know I won't sleep much tonight, as I'll continually wake to check on him. Ugh. He seems fine. He was scared and cried a little, but he hardly coughed and before we left, he actually went right back up to that stinkin' pond as if he was ready to take another swim. OYE!

I know this will be the first of many near death experiences that will scare the pants off me, but man. I swear this child is going to send me to an early grave! I'm just so glad he's fine. It's just a reminder how much you have to watch your kids! Asher plays in water all the time. But with those slippery, steep slopes in the coi pond, he didn't stand a chance. Poor punkin'! Poor Mama!!!

Dear son, please stop scary your mama. She can't take much more drama in her life.

Comments

That's some scary stuff. I swear my heart stops at least once a day since having Kate. Our only close call was when we were outside doing some yard work and daddy thought I was watching Kate and I thought he was watching her and she was walking towards the street about 5 feet from being in it.. and not stopping.. I ran as fast as I could, scooped her up and immediately started crying. She was fine, but I was a mess.
I have gotten more gray hairs in the last 15 months than I care to admit. :)
I'm so glad Asher is okay though. I know how scared you must have been.
Thank God for sending you the message in time. ((HUGS)) Now take a deep breath and be thankful for the blessing you have been given.
Anonymous said…
Oh sweetheart ... I can so empathize with you. We really DO need to go have that cup of coffee ;)
Lara Alspaugh xoxo

Popular Posts