Discipline

I feel like I'm at a loss. Some days, I even feel as if I'm at the end of my rope. Some days are fine...but other days, I find myself angry at my darling child. I love Asher. He seriously is the coolest kid I know...though I know I'm biased. He's super smart, and witty, and spirited...so very spirited. He loves on people, all the time....all the time! He loves to give hugs and kisses so much that there are times I see him pinning down 7 year old friends to give kisses! He loves to snuggle and share his snacks and drinks, his laugh is infectious and he's super sweet to babies.

But there's this other side of him that can be discouraging. He's a brute. I don't think he means to be...but with his nearly 40 pound, 40" stature, he kinda just is. Last night was a perfect example. We were at the East Lansing Concert Series down at the fountain having a grand ol' time...singing...dancing...when all of a sudden, a little 12 month toddler came by to say hi. Asher, having to show his dominance, smacked the kid on the cheek and then proceeded to cram his granola bar into the kids mouth. So, one part of me thought, wow...he wants to fight this kid, but within the next moment, he wanted to share his snack with him...so what is he doing? What is he thinking?

I think sometimes he smacks kids as a 'hello'...which I'm not sure where he gets. He likes to smack peoples butts or backs as a hello. But he doesn't do it softly...And all of a sudden, especially when he's excited, he'll reach out and smack a child's face or grab a hold of their cheek and pull. I of course feel horrible and embarrassed and I don't know what to do to stop the behavior. And more importantly, where does he even get this behavior from?? And lately, he's been running up to someone and ripping a toy out of a child's hand...which I think he may have learned from a friend...but still...how do you stop it?

What do I do? How do I discipline? I'm at a loss. We do time-outs, and yes, they remove Asher from the situation, but a gentle description of what he's done wrong and time by himself, doesn't seem to phase him. We talk about his behavior, I ask him why he's acted out, I ask him to go apologize and give hugs or show gentle touches....but seriously some days, not a few moments later, he's acting out again. He does great in time-outs. All I have to say is go to time-out and he'll find a place to sit down...and he stays...but the whole process doesn't seem to change his behavior.

I don't like hitting. I think it's silly for us. I don't condone it...and I think there are situations where it may be the best choice, but I think it's hard not to over do it when you're angry and I don't know what I'm teaching my son if I'm telling him not to hit, yet I hit him as a response to his hitting. How can I say, don't hit...but then hit. In saying that, I've tried smacking him. I've smacked his hand and his bottom. The other day as he continued to hit a 10 month old's leg with a plastic spoon, I chose to show him what it felt like...again though, I instantly thought, 'what am I teaching him?'.

I don't know where this behavior comes from. We're not violent people. We never spanked him, or hit him, or grabbed at his skin as an infant...so where does he get it? I sometimes wonder if it's because he still doesn't have a large vocabulary...maybe it's his way of communicating...but how do I re-direct it into a positive touch, rather than a brutal one?

I think the hardest thing with me is that I get sick of being around him. After disciplining him day after day and seeing no change in his behavior and having no break until Steve comes home or the weekend hits, I just get burned out. And I hate that feeling. Not only does it make me feel like a crappy, mama. But it also makes me feel totally ungrateful and selfish because I have too many mama friends who would give anything for a living child...and the worst part, is when I'm feeling angry and I'm yelling at my wonderful child...I think about what Jorai and Selah are thinking about my behavior. I wonder if they're looking down at me disappointed. It's a horrible feeling.

For all of you mama's out there with spirited, and sometimes aggressive children, what do you do? How do you re-direct their bad behavior into positive behavior? How do you encourage their spirited nature, yet change bad behavior...and how do you keep your sanity in the process. I think the worst part in all of this, is how I feel after I lose my cool. All I want is to give my child the best, most nurturing, loving, open and caring upbringing as I can...yet sometimes I feel as if I'm damaging him with my anger and yelling. It's the worst feeling. When I look into those big brown eyes of his, I feel as if I've already failed him. And that is my worst nightmare.

Comments

Wendy said…
Kim -- it is so hard. My boys hit also. I think part of it is just his boy nature -- they like to rumble. I wish I had some great answers for you, but I haven't figured them out yet either. One thing that has helped Jake is some situations is to completely remove him from them --- as in leave the fun. Several times he has repeatedly disobeyed me at friends houses or at a store. After several warnings, I took him home -- which was so hard because then I lost out on time with other moms, but it made a HUGE impact on him. In fact he told my mom several days later about it --- that if he doesn't obey he'll have to go home. And once he was so awful that I drove to Joel's work and had him come out and spank him (yeah, we spank because time-outs don't work with Jake). Again that made a huge impact on him. It made him realize that mom is serious when she tells you no.

But don't feel bad that you need a break --- we all do. Those little breaks of an hour or two away refresh us and allow us to be good moms. So bring Asher over and go out and enjoy something for an hour or so and refresh yourself. It's such a hard lesson to learn because we do feel like failures saying that we need time away, but it's not a failure. We just need to be recharged.
I hope that encourages you just a bit! You're a great momma and Selah and Jorai are very proud of you!
Sarah said…
Hey Kim,
I agree with Wendy, it is a boy thing. Even my 12 m/o is starting to hit and bite and be really rough, and my daughter never did. I think that hitting to show what it feels like can be productive, and effective. If Asher does not know what it feels like when he hits other kids, he may not put it together that he might be hurting them.
As far as the time outs go, I have no idea. They do not work for Kayla, she just goes back to the same bad behavior. It seems to work better for her to take away privileges,and then make her earn them back with good behavior. Asher is only 2 so I dont know if that would work for him. It also sometimes works to put the toy in time out when she rips them away from her brother. The toy is what she really wants and it seems to shock her when the toy gets time out instead of her. Not sure why this works, but it usually does.
I just have to remind myself that Kayla and Travy are little and that the impulse center of their brain is not developed yet, and they make choices that do not make sense to me.
Don't feel guilty for feeling frustrated or angry, or needing a break. We all do, and lately I feel like that more often than not!!! A strong willed, spirited child can be so intense sometimes that you really do need to regroup mentally. Toddlers have big emotions and big personalities in little bodies. We mommas just need to support each other!!
Heather said…
Kim, Hitting is a normal stage for children...and the repetition with which kids need to be told *not* to hit is also normal. But, that doesn't make it *any* less frustrating! Some kids bite, some kids hit, some kick. And, it is the usual learning pattern...part of it is the number of words he has, so teaching him sign can help. If you haven't already, a really good sign to teach him is "help". That can help him communicate with the tools he has...his hands...and relieve much frustration for you, Steve and Asher. Part of it is that he is exploring and trying to figure out how to be in the world...and it is hard. Some of us are still working on it!
I completely agree about not hitting. I was hit growing up and it did nothing positive for my relationship with my parents, and it certainly did not improve my behavior. And, I think, by removing ourselves when we feel like hitting (while making sure they are safe), we eventually set a good example for our children.
So much of good parenting is about communication. At least, that is what I have learned in my 7+ years of doing it. (and seeing what my parents did and learning what not to do from that). Encouraging a gentle touch by showing him how is really good, but again, it might take 200+ times before he gets it. Take a look at this article from Mothering. It is wonderful. And, read anything by Adele Faber...that is the key. Parenting is such a hard job, and I think your little girls know you are trying your best. I do. And, that is all any of us can do. Hang in there and know you are certainly not alone. Not by a very, very longshot. The fact that you are worried about it makes you a good parent. Period.

http://www.mothering.com/instead-hitting-0

Love to you, Asher, Steve and Baby N,
Heather
Katie said…
Hey Kim -
I just thought of something we have been doing with Hazel lately - and it's been helpful. For the things where you feel like Asher already knows the rules (like not hitting) - and he doesn't need fair warning - I started skipping the "threaten the consequence" step and going straight to actual consequence. "If you do that again..." just seemed to be teaching her that she could always get away with it once or twice before anything happened. It's tougher, and less fun, for sure - but I feel more effective... and we try to prep for behavior rules before we get somewhere - then that way I also know that she's been "warned" already - and can expect to be held to that standard.
Hang in there - Asher is a fun, busy, energetic guy who is testing the heck out of you - but what a sweet and hilarious kid he is, and will continue to be.
And BE SURE to schedule a few more Mama-Sushi-Nights to get those breaks we all need. :)
StephRosie said…
I know we just talked about this, but I wanted to catch up on your blog. :) I also thought of something an early child phsycologist told my mom which was with some children on certain issues it takes anywhere from 200-300 times of them hearing the same thing over again for it to click. YIKES! I know, but I was in the same boat and I think Bo hearing it a bagilion times, being disciplined consistently and I think the best thing was when he got old enough to communicate what he was thinking and feeling. I did eventually take him over to a corner and spank him on his bare bottom and then he would sit in the corner until he calmed down, but he got a warning of "Bo if you hit you will get a spankin". Once he realized what that meant he's done pretty good with it. I don't like spanking either but I justify it with saving other kids from the Bo beatdown. Asher is so sweet, cute and fun, but I know how difficult and draining it can be.

Popular Posts