birthday cake~ BEST chocolate cake recipe!

I've come to the realization that I'm physically unable to make a 'pretty' cake or pie...and that's OK, because what they lack in beauty, they surpass in taste. I've had to embrace it! I have to admit, I'm a pretty good baker. I don't know how I became one. I probably got it from my mom because she rocks in the baking department, but she can make things look wonderful. I'm the kind of baker where you look at my creation and think "wow...this is going to suck!", but then you taste it and are pleasantly surprised. Case in point, Asher's birthday cake. I had such grand plans to make an awesome drum major hat cake, but it just didn't work out. It was cute and all, but in no way what I thought it would be. And though the cake was seriously the best cake I've ever made, it was incredibly hard to ice. Even when I put a crumb coat on it. I made some chocolate instrument molds that I used to cover up some mistakes, and those turned out super yummy too.

If you need a fairly easy chocolate cake recipe, look no further. This is by far the best chocolate cake I've ever had.




SERIOUSLY MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE

Source: the vast world wide web


2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (I used olive oil)

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup HOT coffee
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
-----
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour your cake pan(s) (2 round, or 1 sheet) (or line cupcake tins~I made both).
3. Add all dry ingredients (except sugar) to a bowl and whisk to combine.
4. In mixer, add sugar and oil and mix to combine.
5. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
6. Slowly add milk, coffee and vanilla extract.
7. Add dry ingredients in increments with mixer on low speed.
8. Add sour cream and stir to combine. (I used Greek yogurt)

***this batter is super thin. don't worry!!!***

9. Pour into cake pans and transfer to oven.
10. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I topped both the cake and cup-cakes with cream-cheese frosting, though the next time I may just use a fresh whipped cream. The cake is super rich and moist and really doesn't need a heavy frosting, though the cream cheese frosting was yum.

Comments

SnoWhite said…
looks like a fantastic cake to celebrate someone turning 3!! Hope it was a fun day for Asher :)
Cora Bullock said…
Looks aren't everything. I agree that sometimes a cake that doesn't look appetizing tastes better. And the fact that you've just shared this wonderful recipe made my day. I'm sure my nephew will be delighted once he knows that I'll be making some of this on his birthday.
Phoenix Rising said…
That's great Cora! Your nephew will love it. I still get compliments on that cake! We just went to party where the cake was a $100 fancy dancy cake. My cake tasted 10 times better than the $100 cake! The other one was much prettier!!!!1 But who cares what a cake looks like, right?!? You will love this recipe!

Popular Posts