uncomfortableness

have you ever been in a conversation with a group of people when someone close blurts out a comment that makes you cringe? and it not only makes you cringe but you can see the shock in other people's faces as well. as if they're thinking, did he just say what i think he said? and there's no way to cover the comment up. it's just there. lingering for all to hear. for all to know the truth.

that happened to me this weekend. i wish i could go into more detail, because it may resonate with some of you, but i can't. all i can say is that death brings the best out of some people and the worst out of others. i always thought that if i went through something super tragic, there would be certain people who would be there. this summer, i learned that what you think doesn't always happen. steve and i were amazed by the amount of support we got and continue to get from friends. but it was strange to see the people we thought would be there, weren't.

this weekend i was reminded of how distorted my view of certain people are. how i thought they were this amazing supportive, always by your side kind of person, but instead would choose a going on a trip instead of supporting someone they love though a very difficult time.

i guess it's a reminder to never put someone on a pedestal and never, never hold expectations...people are people and we all deal with hard situation differently. some choose to be amazingly supportive and loving and well, there. while others choose to leave or laugh or joke or ignore.

Comments

Anonymous said…
that reminds of me of a joke my dear uncle made last weekend. He came into the room at a 4 year olds birthday party with a babydoll attached to his head and said "at least nobody in our family was born with birth defects" He was expecting a chuckle, but everyone looked at him in shock. He suddenly realized why he got those looks from everyone as soon as he saw my face. I think he forgot that my son was born with a fatal birth defect.
Phoenix Rising said…
oh my, beth. i'm so sorry for that. people say the crappiest things, i just don't understand. that must have been hard to sit through.

thinking of you...
Anonymous said…
Kim,
I have a thing for laughing at totally inappropriate and awkward moments. When my uncle said that comment, first I was shocked, and then I laughed. I do the same thing when people ask me if I have children, or anything like that. I laugh and say, well.. it's a loooong story but yes I have a child but he's in heaven. I think people are taken aback by my laughter about the fact that my child isn't here.. but I guess I'm goofy that way! :)

Popular Posts