rotavirus

i need to talk to steve, but i think i just nixed the rotavirus vaccine off our vaccination schedule. although it's super common in the us...it's super common in day care settings and since we're not putting our child in day care, i feel pretty comfortable nixing it. plus, with the benefits of breast feeding, the chances of our child contracting it is low and the severity will be low if they do contract it.

from my research, i've seen that the main point in giving all these vaccines is to wipe it out of our population. which is cool...but if the vaccine could be potentially harmful, why would i risk my child's health for the one day possibility of the disease no longer being around?

kinda like the whole chickenpox debate...we're trying to get rid of a pretty annoying but rather 'safe' disease so that parent's don't have to take time off work. which would be a good thing...but isn't that all a part of being a parent? i can understand giving the vaccine later in life to prevent a super bad case of chickenpox...but starting at 1 year just doesn't make sense...plus it's a live virus, so the chance of getting it from the vaccine is pretty high.

i hope i'm not pissing anyone off by these posts. i'm truly not trying to judge or condemn anyone for their choices. each parent needs to do the research and determine what's right for them and their family. i just find all of this so fascinating. the more i read and research things out, the more my eyes are opened. i started with thinking that my child would be fully vaccinated...and so far we nixed 4 and delayed 5.

now on to the vitamin d supplements in breastfeeding debate...i've heard more about how silly the recommendation is than it actually benefiting babies...but i want to do my own research...anyone out there have an opinion?

Comments

It's good to do research, and you're right about rotavirus, that it is mainly found in daycares. I unfortunately have seen (and smelled) the effect of rotavirus in a daycare setting, and how fast it spreads. If you are staying home with the wee one, then the chances of contracting it is low and it's not worthwhile to subject the babe to needless shots. You're such a good mommy doing your research! :)
Katie said…
As for vitamin D - I bought a bottle of the stuff, per doctor's orders... and I can't bring myself to give it to her. Two reasons:
1. The stuff tastes HIDEOUS. Seriously. I wouldn't even take it myself. How is a baby who has only been fed sweet-tasting breastmilk supposed to gag that down??
2. I find it hard to believe that breastmilk is truly deficient in that way.
I don't give my daughter vitamins and I put her to sleep on her tummy. I'm officially a BAD MOM. :)

Popular Posts