time management

i'm really starting to realize how difficult it can be to be a mom who gets anything done, let alone can get herself done. it seems as if the moment i get a moment to myself, i need to eat...since it's been hours. so i make something to eat, but as soon as it's done, asher's up and wants to be fed or held. so the food stays on the stove. then another naps comes and i make a mad dash to the wash or try to pick up the house only to grab a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realize how hideous i look. with my hair all matted and still in the same clothes as i was 3 days ago, asher wakes up. another feeding, another diaper change...maybe some cool awake time and then cuddle time followed by another nap...then there's a choice...do i eat, finish the laundry, pick up the house, or do something with myself? oh, wait, that was a quick nap! asher's crying again...

then with the days where i have an appointment...trying to get ready, get asher ready and get out of the house and to the appointment on time? wow. i never knew it could be so hard...i hate being late...but i'm starting to become late.

i know it'll get easier and i'll find asher's schedule and be able to intertwine it with mine, but for now, it's hard. right now i'm thinking that there's laundry upstairs to fold, but asher's downstairs...i want to bathe the poo off my child, but he's sleeping and i don't want to wake him...i did get to eat, after it sat on the stove for 45 minutes...so now, do i clean the kitchen as i wait for him to wake? bring the laundry downstairs to fold? get the bath stuff ready? i know it's just a mater of time before he wakes again...steve's at his ministry meeting and i love this alone time with asher. but it's hard to get much done. but man do i love every second.

just don't laugh at my appearance the next time you see me. just smile and tell me i look beautiful. please. if you don't, i'll probably cry!

Comments

missie said…
I know you ARE beautiful!!! You are a new mommy! I remember thinking that I never knew what people meant when they said that babies needed constant attention until I had one. It took five hours for us to leave the house when I took Blake out on his first outing. No lie, FIVE hours. He was 11 days old, and I was 11 days crazy...in love, but crazy. First I had to change him, then I thought, "he should eat before we go." So I nursed him, then he fell asleep and I realized I wasn't even dressed. I got dressed, half of my makeup on, and he woke up...poopie leaked out in his outfit, so then I had to change and wash him. I finished my makeup while my husband held him; when I got him back, he was wet so I changed him again. Then I thought "I should feed him again before we go." So I nursed him, then he poopied again and this time it got on me, too! So I had to change him again and then change my self. Once I was changed he was sleeping and I couldn't bear to wake him, so I waited for him to wake up, changed him and then thought, "he should eat before we go...etc, etc, etc...

In short...I totally get what you mean:) See you on Weds with some hot food, any special requests?
Katie said…
It WILL get easier, slowly. I've got the baby & me thing down now, but I still haven't added "taking excellent care of my home" into that loop... right now it's about as good as it ever was when I worked outside the home. Hopefully I get better at that soon, too.
And I am SURE you are beautiful. There's something about a new mama that just radiates - and as in love with your little man as you are, I know it is showing on your face. Hair done or not.
:)
Anonymous said…
Girlfriend, if you're able to fit in brushing your teeth once a day this first (what I affectionatly call Hell month,) then you are doing awesome! Nobody will hassle you over the laundry. If they do, show them the machine and the soap. And as for the house work - sorry to say, but Aidan is three and a half, and I am just now catching up on the housework :) No worries though, because I have lots of great memmories being the milking cow stuck on the couch.
Tania

Popular Posts