close to my breaking point

i hate being so close. so close to losing it. my emotions are right at the rim, ready to spill at any second. i'm exhausted. i feel completely depleted of rest. after an amazing week of sleep, we have now finished off a week of wakefulness. each night since last saturday has gotten progressively worse. last night, asher woke every hour. every. single. hour. i'm not functioning anymore and my emotions are ready to explode. i'm seriously to the point of letting his wail it out, and for those who know me, that's quite extreme. the boy has never cried it out before. not even for 3 minutes. but i'm there and that makes me sad.

on top off the no sleep and crazy emotions, our washing machine has broken, our car has broken and i found out that the thing the dentist wants to give me for my teeth grinding problem will cost $300 after insurance, so i'm not going to get that. and the icing is that all my friends and my husband are whooping it up at the riv christmas party, and i'm at home sitting in sweats, hungry, with a headache and alone because since my child hasn't been sleeping, he's a royal crank.

i really don't mean to be complaining or feeling sorry for myself. i know i'm truly blessed with an amazing husband, a usually rockin' son, a supporting family and good health...but i just feel so downtrodden right now. so steamrolled. i always look forward to the riv party. it's always a great time. and i just feel as if i'm missing out right now. and thinking about the money we'll be shelling out for the car and washer and whatever else comes our way, just freaks me out.

have you ever just had one of those weeks filled with crap? my thursday was fun and right now my house is silent. those are my positives right now. now i'm about to have my hundredth turkey sandwich since thanksgiving and a dozen or so peppermint chocolate cookies before heading off to bed.

on a positive note, my mom just called to tell me that they want to buy the washer for us and we can pay them back so we won't have to pay interest. yea, mom and dad! i feel so looked after. now if they could just get my child to sleep!

Comments

Leesa said…
Oh, Kim, I can SO relate to you! I'm sorry that Asher isn't sleeping well. Noah would go through those periods, well, we just got him to start sleeping through the night. Even at over a year old he was getting up every.single.hour! You know who's fault it was? Mine! He knew that all he had to do was cry some and mommy would be right there. People kept telling me to just let him cry it out, even my husband, but it was just SOOO hard to do. I would cry in my bed while he was crying. I knew that he could find his own pacifier and that he had to learn to comfort himself. There were times that my husband would hold me in bed because I just wanted to run to Noah. Of course, you have to do what is right for you, but at Asher's age he understands manipulation. You can always call me if you just want someone to talk to and relate. I'm not just saying it to be nice either, I am 100% serious. Having someone to talk to that understands is priceless.
ShannaKay said…
hey you, its 10:38pm and juniper is finally asleep in the sling problem is that if i sit or stop moving she'll wake up again...ahhhhhh...yup its been like this all week......and i hear ya! i'm hugging you right now, well you know cyberish way. what i've been doing with juniper, if she just wont stop i change the situation...i take her out in the cold for a sec and shes like whoa whats this...and stops and looks at me and sometimes smiles and goes to sleep...but there are other times when nothing works and i pray to God, "i cant do this anymore!!! you've got to help me or i'm going to lose it!" and i call my mom and after i cry with her on the phone while juniper is crying in our ears..i feel that i can make it just a little longer....and its looking at getting through each moment that is important. i start to get overwhelmed when i say, oh man its going to be like this tomorrow too and i havent gotten any sleep tonight...trust in God and he'll get you through!!!! it sucks...it really does...i'm here for you, from a distance anyway...sending you and asher sleep vibes....trust your instincts with him...not a big fan of cry it out, but if it comes to the point where you're going to lose it, put him down and let him cry and go ahead and cry right along with him.....been there and done that. call me anytime even if our phone says not to disturb and to leave a message, let it ring through. ithink you have to push #4 or something, it'll tell you in the menu if you listen. gosh...hoping you are getting some sleep! luv u!
Mandie Oliver said…
part of being a mom is sacrifice...and sometimes sacrifice just plain sucks. period. i have spent many a nights in pajamas i have been wearing all day (and night), covered in various types of bodily fluid that is not my own while others were out having a great time. add tired to tired to the mix and it makes for a sucky time.
just let "this too shall pass" be your mantra at the moment. i feel you, mama. i have been there (heck, i AM there!).
Mindy Richmond said…
I've been there. Sometimes I just let those emotions spill out and after it's all over I feel better.

Leesa is right, babies know how to manipulate very early on. It's innate because they need it for survival, but a lot of times they cry simply because they want the attention, not because anything is wrong. I always thought of it this way: if I go in and give him the attention he's begging for, he won't get the sleep he so desperately needs, and the sleep is what's most important right now.

It's a hard thing to do but I think it's worth a shot. With Luke I used to set a timer and promise myself I would give it 5 minutes, sometimes 10 or 15, before I would go in to get him. Most of the time he ended up falling asleep before the time was up. He very quickly learned to use his pacifier (and thumb, eventually), blanket, and lullabies to soothe himself to sleep.

I'll be praying that God gives you an extra dose of mother's intuition with this whole sleeping dilemma.
Mindy Richmond said…
And hey, you're still welcome to come to girls' night tonight. There are just a few others coming so it won't be crowded. And of course Asher is welcome even though he's a boy. Cute baby trumps wrong gender ;) You could even catch some Z's while everyone gushes over him!

Popular Posts